Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Projector probs!!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member seer4's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2003
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi again,

    I decided to give my projector a clean.. it had SO much dust and stuff...

    After the first quick clean it had a tiny bit still but the image looked AWESOME. In my other thread I said my images looked muddy and badly exposed... well I think it was the projector as now they are crystal clear and just look amazing.. I am surprised how good it has come out.

    My problem tho now is, I must have touched something I shouldn't and the film isnt coming out right on the screen. It is like half of the image at the top and the other half at the bottom if you know what I mean? Like not aligned correct.

    Also there seems to be some green grease or stuff I noticed on the film leader... I cant tell if it's gone on all the film or not, I am too scared to put any film through it again.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It sounds like you lost your loop.

    The film is probably making a different sound than before when you project it. You should have a loop lever that you "flick" or "turn" that restores the loop on your film.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The alignment problem could just be your framing control being off.

    By the way, what kind of projector is this?

    Maybe you should get a 50 foot roll of leader and run it through the machine (or a film you can live without)and see if you are still picking up the green grease.

    I have vague memories of Ektachrome 160s emulsion dust being green-blue. Could this be it?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You should score a couple of Super-8 movie prints (as was suggested by FourFourForty). This will allow you to observe how your projector is functioning as it projects an actual continuous scene rather than unedited footage.

    Have you inspected the whole film path from supply reel to take-up reel?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is there a lever that you push down when you thread the film into the machine?. On my machine that has one that's the loop restorer. (My other projector works just fine without having one.)

    The frame adjustment is very often either a knob you twist or a lever you move. Even if it doesn't fix the problem completely you should notice a difference when you move the adjustment. (either the frame moves up and down inside the projector beam, or the beam moves up and frame stays stationary.)

    Also, is the picture steady or jumpy. Is the machine making a ******ry noise?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Would you believe the autocensor nailed me for typing c-h-a-t-t-e-r-y?

    In what part of the English speaking world is this a naughty word?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member seer4's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2003
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It is a Hanimex dual projector.. standard 8 and super 8.

    The grease is still there but now it is less since I ran a bit of film leader through it.

    I cant seem to find where the loop switch is. It has a "frame" switch... but this did nothing... also a super 8 - standard 8 switch.. not much else that I can see.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member seer4's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2003
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks again for all the info..

    ok it does make a weird noise.. but again I am so new to all of this.

    There is a lever you pull down when you thread the film.. and a knob at the front which seems to move the main reel.

    I will give it a go again... I am gonna get my stuff transfered to dv but for now this first film is my test subject [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you post a picture of the front of part of your projector?

    Check out EBay and score a cheap Super-8 print. It should prove a big help when it comes to using the print to evaluate the condition of your projector.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member seer4's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2003
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok the "frame" switch when adjusted fixed the alignment... guess it was obvious but I didn't wanna mess with it too much.

    The gunk seems to have gone... and now my new problem is an old reel that was spliced? together came undone...

    Haven't even started to look at joinng reels together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •